I've gone back to school. Well for three hours a week at least. I'm studying pattern drafting.



In the first half of the year, wait, hold on, we are in the SECOND half of this year already!!!!! Anyway, in the first half of the year I did a 10 week course in pattern making (at RMIT if you want to know). It was great, I learnt all about how to take a basic pattern block and turn it into anything I wanted. The only problem is that the basic pattern block just ain't anywhere near the same shape as me. The only solution was to learn how to make pattern blocks to fit me perfectly. So I am now completing the second instalment at RMIT.

If I can get the bodice block right I may never need an FBA again!!


I have to sew up my first bodice block this weekend. Hopefully it's close to a good fit, but it might take a few goes to get right.





There are all kinds of Maths and measurements required to get the first shape.





I've pulled out my old rulers and tools from a previous life (I'll tell you about it one day). This crazy spiky thing, AKA a tracing wheel, is my favourite. I think the name crazy spiky thing is much better than tracing wheel.





Apparently I am too poor (of the time variety mostly) to spend $3 on an awl. Here is my improvised version - a nail taped to a pencil. I think it is actually really convenient. One less thing to worry about losing.



In other news of the educational variety, I am trying to actually learn something about photography and I have signed up for a few craftsy courses. I think I am heading towards brain explosion from all the great new things to learn. Not to mention all the new things I am learning at work. I have put knitting aside for now. It's too slow going for me. I'm happy just knowing that I have the knit, purl thing sorted out.



It's a big weekend for me. Not much time for crafting. I don't get to go to the Sew Melbourne meet up for this month either. I'm sad about that but we are celebrating other exciting things instead so it's ok.

Have a good weekend everyone!








2 Comments

  1. I think it's awesome that you are taking pattern making courses. I cannot express how much I believe knowing the basics and essentials to pattern making are! Good luck and your block looks great (the back armhole is "taller" than the front, meaning it's balanced)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks so much. Hopefully when it's all stitched up it will fit like a dream. I have so many ideas to make up once I have the basic bodice worked out. I will certainly be spending a lot of time reading the tips and tutorials on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rediscovering sewing after nearly 10 years without touching a sewing machine. I am now sewing up a storm and have started to learn patternmaking and drafting.
Powered by Blogger.